The clock struck midnight to bring in a beautiful 2016 with sparklers, drinks, and fireworks! Meanwhile, I was sitting at home throwing up and sick like a kid who just got off the loop-de-loop after eating 3 veggie dogs. What a way to bring in the New Year.
Well, here we go again. “The happiest season of all” … which also happens to be FLU SEASON…is upon us. Let’s enjoy the holidays this year without the sickness, shall we?
The Mutation of the Flu
According to estimates by the Center for Disease Control, last year’s flu shot was only 48% effective (in preventing influenza-associated, medically attended, acute respiratory illness) and that number might not improve much this year given how often flu viruses mutate. Since flu viruses mutate so often, it’s not likely for one shot to be a cure-all for all existing strains of the flu. Hence, if you want an even greater arsenal against the attack of the flu, you may need to do more. Let’s talk about one of the most important of them all… boosting your vitamin D levels.
- Dark skin- skin pigment acts as a sunscreen. The more pigment, the longer you need to spend in the sun or supplement with Vitamin D.
- Depression- Vitamin D receptors are found in the parts of the brain that are linked to the development of depression. Low levels increase the likelihood of feeling blue.
- 50 or older- your body is less efficient in producing Vitamin D.
- Overweight or obese- Vitamin D is fat-soluble, so you’ll need more than others.
- Head sweats, achy bone, gut trouble- all evident as Vitamin D is deficient.
- FLU- if you feel the flu coming on… it is likely you are deficient!
The Sunshine Vitamin
- Needed to fight off invading bacteria and viruses
- Found in cells throughout the body
- Fights the flu effectively
- End of winter, people tend to test low on Vitamin D (University of Maine Study) so food & supplements may be required to maintain healthy level
Vitamin D Sources:
- Raw Milk
- Beef Liver
- Egg Yolk
Hence, if you are vegan, adding a high-quality Vitamin D supplement is even more imperative to maintain healthy levels of Vitamin D and maintaining a healthy YOU.
Whether you get a flu shot or not, Vitamin D will increase your ability to fight off the flu! Let’s enjoy our holidays, the crisp air, and our families this year by protecting ourselves properly!