Sugar Free, Gluten Free, Caramel Hallelujah Cake
Maya Angelou: a phenomenal actress, an eloquent speaker, a brilliant writer. Despite her terrible childhood & struggles during her teen years, she bloomed into an inspiring woman. This cake is inspired by her version in her cookbook entitled Hallelujah! The Welcome Table.
Ingredients for Lakanto’s Sugar Free, Gluten Free Caramel Hallelujah Cake:
2 ½ cups almond flour
¼ cup coconut flour
¼ cup whey protein powder, vanilla
1 T baking powder
1 tsp. Salt
½ cup butter, softened
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup milk (of your choice, we used unsweetened almond milk)
¼ cup Lakanto Caramel Syrup
Instructions for Lakanto’s Sugar Free, Gluten Free Caramel Hallelujah Cake:
- Preheat oven to 325° and grease/spray 2 8” round cake pans. Cut parchment to line the bottoms of the pans and spray the parchment as well.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flours and the whey protein, the baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, beat the butter and Monkfruit Sweetener together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl each time. Add vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients in thirds, alternating with adding the milk. Beat until well combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans making sure the tops are smooth and even. Bake 23-26 minutes or until the edges have just turned golden and the tops are slightly firm.
- Remove and let cool in the pans for 10 minutes then turn over onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Sugar Free Caramel Frosting:
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter
- 2 ½ cups Lakanto Powdered Monkfruit Sweetener
- ¼ c Lakanto Caramel Flavored Syrup
- ¼ c heavy cream, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, melt butter until brown in color-about 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from heat and pour butter into a bowl, but not scraping the bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Allow to cool 5-8 minutes.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add Lakanto Powdered Monkfruit Sweetener, Lakanto Caramel Syrup, vanilla, salt, and the cooled butter. With the mixer on low, mix until it starts to come together. Slowly add cream; beat until smooth. Add additional cream to desired consistency.
Nutritional Info 1/16th serving size (estimation, per serving)
- Calories: 310kcal
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Protein: 8g
- Fat: 27g
- Sodium: 207mg
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar Alcohols: 1g
- Net Carbs: 3g
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel" --Maya Angelou
Some other great cake recipes:
Lakanto Tres Leches Cake