Cranberry Citrus Sparkler
by Blaire Flory of The Compliant Cook
No matter what your New Years Eve plans may or may not be this year, we can all agree that we’re thrilled to be ringing in a new year and saying farewell to 2020. This Cranberry Citrus Sparkler screams festive, even if this NYE’s festive means dancing around your living room in cozy wool socks. Cranberry is such a star of a fruit— no natural sweetness, making this recipe perfect for Keto. While I love this Sparkler with a dry Prosecco, it also mixes wonderfully with white wine or a clear liquor (potato vodka is my favorite option, with a topping of sparkling water). If you’re feeling adventurous, have it warm with a bit of whiskey for a twist on a classic Hot Toddy.
Ingredients for Cranberry Citrus Sparkler
Makes about 12 servings, keeps for 10 days in the refrigerator (covered)
- 2 cups cranberry
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 cup Lakanto Simple Syrup
- 1 lemon, sliced in half (use lemon or lime for Keto, otherwise grapefruit or orange are great alternatives)
- Dry Prosecco (one bottle per six drinks)
- Rosemary sprigs (as an optional garnish)
How to make Cranberry Citrus Sparkler
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cranberries, water, and Lakanto Simple Syrup and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to low, add the lemon halves, and cover. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and take off of the heat. Using a wooden spoon, crush the cranberries and lemon in the mixture. Cover and return to heat for another 5 minutes.
- Using a fine, mesh sieve or stainer, stain the cranberry mixture into a bowl, squeezing the lemon before discarding and pressing on the cranberries with the wooden spoon (the juice that comes from this part is the most flavorful, so don’t skip!)
- Refrigerate cranberry citrus syrup until cool.
- Add a 1/4 cup of cranberry citrus to each glass, top with Prosecco, stir with a rosemary sprig to combine, leaving it for garnish.
For a mocktail:
- Simply pour cranberry syrup over ice, top with equal parts sparkling water.
- Add more cranberry syrup to taste.
- Stir and garnish with a rosemary sprig.
Nutrition Facts for Cranberry Citrus Syrup(based on 1/4 cup serving)
- Calories: 7.6
- Fat: 0
- Carbs: 2
- Fiber: .76