Sugar-Free, Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
This recipe is inspired by activist and environmentalist Greta Thunberg who chooses to follow a Vegan diet. The young Swede first took the world stage in 2015 as a supporter of enviromental protection all around the world for sustainable practices.
"The Greta Effect" is alive and well here at Lakanto as we believe no one is too small to make a difference.
Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
The flesh of the jackfruit is very tender and has a flaky but firm texture. It shreds easily to resemble pulled pork or chicken, and is a terrific vegan substitute for these and other typically meat-based recipes. Jackfruit is sold in a can with brine or syrup. Make sure to get the canned jackfruit in brine for this recipe.
Ingredients for Sugar-Free, Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches:
14.5 ounce can Jackfruit in brine
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
¾ cup of Lakanto All American BBQ sauce (recipe linked)
Instructions for Sugar-Free, Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches:
- Prepare the canned jackfruit by shredding the pieces with your hands or backside of a fork, discarding any harder pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat. Add the shredded jackfruit and cook 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. If necessary, add a splash of water to keep it from sticking to the pan.
- Add paprika, garlic powder and salt. Mix well to incorporate all seasonings into the Jackfruit.
- Stir in half of the BBQ sauce. Turn the heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the cover and stir in half of the remaining BBQ sauce, reserving some for serving.
- Top gluten-free buns with BBQ Jackfruit and serve immediately.
Nutritional Info (estimation) per serving (4 oz Jackfruit, 1 oz BBQ sauce)
- Calories: 175kcal
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat 1
- Protein: 3g
- Sodium: 280mg
- Total Carbs: 20g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Sugars: 3g
- Sugar Alcohols: 1g
- Net Carbs: 15g
A great article on going Vegan found here