Lakanto Tres Leches Cake
Tres Leches Cake is one of the most popular desserts in Latin America. This version is low-carb and sugar-free but still takes on the traditional flavor and texture!
It begins with a light and airy, vanilla sponge cake with oozing pockets of creamy milks. Sweetening fresh cream with Lakanto Powdered Monkfruit Sweetener can make a whipped cream that is perfectly sweet and will hold its shape for days.
Your finished Tres Leches Cake will be dressed with sliced strawberries and a sprinkling of cinnamon. No joke, this three milk cake will impress at any gathering.
If you're counting carbs, rest in the bliss that one slice of this cake is only 4 net carbs. Using low-carb ingredients to start, you only get added sugars from the strawberries, and the fiber-filled flours and fruit help to offset other natural sugars in the recipe.
Ingredients for Sugar-Free Tres Leches Cake:
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup Lakanto Monkfruit Baking Sweetener
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled (can sub Avocado oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Lakanto Vanilla Liquid Monkfruit Extract
You'll also need three different milks for this recipe, hence the name Tres Leches Cake!
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Instructions for Sugar-Free Tres Leches Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the bottom of a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper, then coat with coconut or avocado oil baking spray.
- Whisk the coconut flour, baking powder and 1/2 cup Lakanto Monkfruit Baking Sweetener together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place the egg whites into a stand mixer with the remaining Lakanto Monkfruit Baking Sweetener and blend until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl whisk the egg yolks, butter, vanilla extract and Vanilla Liquid Monkfruit Extract.
- Fold the coconut flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
Gently fold in the stiffened egg whites in small batches into the coconut flour batter. Careful not to over mix!
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes, do not remove from the pan.
- After cooled, take a skewer or sharp pointed knife and make holes all over in the cake.
- In another bowl whisk together the coconut milk, half & half, heavy cream.
- Pour this over the cake into all the holes. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.
While the cake is resting You'll need to prep the finishing touches: whipping cream and strawberries!
Ingredients for Simple Sugar-Free Whipping Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 3 heaping Tablespoons Lakanto Monkfruit Baking Sweetener
- 1 tsp Lakanto Vanilla Liquid Monkfruit Extract or Vanilla Extract
How to make Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetened Whipped Cream:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, combine the heavy whipping cream, Lakanto Monkfruit Powdered Sweetener and Lakanto Vanilla Liquid MonkFruit Extract.
- Whip the mixture on medium-low until it starts to thicken.
- Continue mixing on medium-high until stiff peaks form.
Finishing your Tres Leches Cake
- Pipe the whipped cream on your Tres Leches Cake.
- Slice strawberries and place on top with a sprinkling of cinnamon.
- Refrigerate at least one hour before serving.
This cake really is a dream, and it's relatively simple, too! If you've had a similar, but sugar-filled recipe in your family for years, we'd love to see how you like the Lakanto version. It's still authentic and traditional, just without all the excess carbohydrates from sugar.
Chilled desserts are some of our favorites because they naturally enhance the flavor of our monk fruit sweetener—plus, there's just something refreshing about finishing off a meal with a cool temp'd palette cleanser. If you're serving a spicy meal, this is a great last course to bring your tastebuds to their happy place.
this recipe was updated on 5/5/22
Need the perfect drink to serve with this Tres Leches Cake?
Keep those milks handy, and go ahead and whip up this delicious horchata. Our Authentic Horchata recipe is chilled, just like the cake, and has similar flavor profiles, making them the perfect pair.
Nutrition Information per serving (1 slice)
- Calories 233
- Calories from Fat 189
- Fat 21g
- Saturated Fat 13g
- Cholesterol 126mg
- Sodium 135mg
- Potassium 91mg
- Carbohydrates 5g (4 net carbs)
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 1g
- Protein 5g