What better way to celebrate than with these Classic Carrot Cake recipes and traditional flavors like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Yum! The perfect balance between spicy & sweet and of course, no added sugar. We took famous Carrot Cake recipes and made them Sugar-Free using monkfruit sweetener instead of sugar with a one-to-one measuring replacement.
Maybe the best part: top your Sugar-Free Carrot Cake with this rich and creamy cream cheese frosting made sugar-free with our Lakanto Powdered Monkfruit Sweetener. This recipe is one where the cream cheese flavor doesn’t overpower the cake, just enough cream cheese to give it a perfectly tangy but not overwhelming cream cheese flavor.
Scroll to the bottom of this post for the low-carb, keto version of Carrot Cake.
Ingredients in Sugar-Free Classic Carrot Cake (no added sugar):
- 1 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 cup sugar-free applesauce or greek yogurt
- 1 cup Lakanto Brown Sweetener, packed
- 1 cup Lakanto Baking Sweetener (can sub Lakanto Classic Sweetener)
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups Gluten-Free Flour (we used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 T ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 T baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups freshly grated carrots
Instructions for Sugar-Free Classic Carrot Cake (no added sugar):
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare cake pans (3 8" rounds, 2 9" rounds, bundt, 9”x13”) with nonstick spray, and if using round pans, for a layered cake, line the bottoms with parchment paper and spray again. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer or in a mixing bowl with a hand mixer, combine the oil and Lakanto Monkfruit Sweeteners. Beat on medium speed for about two minutes.
- Add applesauce or greek yogurt and vanilla and then stir to combine well.
- With the mixer on medium speed, gradually add the eggs one at a time, scraping down sides of the bowl between additions. When all eggs are combined, beat the mixture for about a minute on medium speed.
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture a little at a time.
- Fold in the carrots with a rubber spatula.
- Evenly divide the cake batter between prepared pans . Bake for 25 to 27 minutes for 8” cakes, 32-36 for 9", Bundt or 9”x13” or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a just a few crumbs on it.
- Let the cake layers cool in the pans for about 15 minutes before inverting the cake layers onto the cooling racks to cool completely.
While the cakes are cooling, make the frosting.
Ingredients in Sugar-Free, Keto Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 6 oz full fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter, slightly cool
- 2-3 cups Lakanto Powdered Sweetener, sifted after measuring
- 2-3 T Heavy Cream, cold
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
Instructions for Sugar-Free, Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting:
In the bowl of a stand mixer (can use a high powered hand mixer) combine the butter and cream cheese. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix a minute more.
Adjust the speed of the mixer to low and gradually add the Powdered Monkfruit Sweetener, then the cream, vanilla and salt.
Adjust the speed of the mixer to medium-high and beat for 4-5 minutes until super light and fluffy. Adjust with more cream if needed.
Frost cakes and refrigerate to set up fully. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Freezes well if wrapped well in plastic wrap, 2-3 months.
Here's the Keto/Low Carb version:
Ingredients in Sugar-Free, Low Carb, Keto Carrot Cake:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup Lakanto Brown Monkfruit Sweetener
- 1 cup Classic, Golden or Baking Monkfruit Sweetener
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 2 ½ cups of fine milled almond flour, sifted
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 ½ tsp Baking powder
- 2 T ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups freshly grated carrots
- 1 ½ cups chopped pecans or walnuts
- ½ cup heavy cream
Instructions for Sugar-Free, Low Carb, Keto Carrot Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350° and line 2 9” pans with parchment paper. (can also do a 9”x13”)
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients (almond flour, spices, salt, baking powder) and mix well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, and using a stand mixer or hand mixer, blend the butter and Monkfruit Sweeteners on medium speed until very well combined and light in color.
- Beat the eggs in one at a time and blend well on medium speed after each.
- Add the heavy cream and combine. Stir in grated carrots on low speed until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients a little at a time on low speed until all is incorporated. Do not over mix. Add in coconut shreds & nuts.
- Fill baking pans evenly and place in middle rack in preheated oven. Bake for 32-37 minutes or until top springs back and toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs attached,
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 10-15 minutes before turning them out on a cooling rack to complete cooling.
Nutritional Info in Keto/Low Carb Carrot Cake (estimation, per serving 36 servings per recipe)
- Calories: 328kcal
- Fat: 31g
- Protein: 10g
- Sodium: 360mg
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sugar Alcohols: 4g
- Net Carbs: 5g