Pumpkin Soup w/ Spiced Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
By Mirielle Sanford
The most exciting part about soup has always been the toppings. Whether it's newly roasted root veggies, a toasty layer of bubbling melty cheese or islands of torn craggy bread. I think we can all agree that a good topping is the best part of soup but if you don’t agree I hope I can change your mind. Before I get to what's on top let’s take a little jaunt into food history. Pumpkin soup didn’t make an appearance until 1804 and according to Epicurus we can thank Haiti and their independence day...so....THANKS...the Haitian version of the soup is more like a stew. But after a handful of attempts I missed my toppings and couldn't help but return to the smooth soup version of my childhood. So without further ado here is a vegan updated flavor take on the classic Pumpkin Soup with Spiced Toasted Pumpkin Seed Topping.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Soup
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 29 oz can of pumpkin
- 3 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
- Juice of one lime
How To Make Pumpkin Soup
- In a large pot, saute onions until translucent 2-3 minutes, add a bit of water or olive oil if they stick to the pan bottom.
- Add crushed garlic, curry powder, cinnamon & turmeric until fragrant.
- Incorporate pumpkin & vegetable stock into the spice/onion mixture. Simmer together for 10 minutes after which add the coconut milk and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- This is a great spot to add the salt although I would suggest seasoning as you go. TASTE TASTE TASTE!!! Add half the lime juice.
- Transfer the soup into a blender or use an immersion blender to puree into a silky smooth texture. Return the soup to the pot.
- Season to taste add the rest of the lime juice if that is your preference.
- To serve top soup with spiced toasted pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!
Total servings in recipe: 6
Spiced Toasted Pumpkin Seed Topping
Ingredients for Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 cup of pumpkin seeds (we used Pepita pumpkin seeds & pecans)
- 2 Tablespoons of Lakanto Maple Syrup
- 2 Tablespoons of Classic Lakanto Sweetener
- ¼ teaspoon of spices (we used ⅛ teaspoon each of cinnamon and nutmeg)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of black pepper
How To Make Toasted Pumpkin Seed Topping
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Toast the nuts in a dry pan non-stick skillet on stove top until the nuts take on a golden color and/or they become fragrant. Take nuts off the heat set aside to cool on a plate.
- In the same skillet melt the 2 Tablespoons of Classic Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener on medium. DO NOT stir or crystallization will occur. Swirl skillet if you need to move the sweetener around. Let sweetener turn a light brown.
- Pull off heat and add maple syrup. Put back on heat for a minute or two still only swirling.
- Turn off heat. Stir in nuts, spices and salt until well incorporated.
- Dump spiced nuts onto the parchment lined pan and let cool. When cooled, break into bits and top soup.
- Store in airtight container on counter for up to 2 weeks
Total servings in recipe: 6