Low Carb Biscuits (grain & gluten-free)
BY CHEF VANESSA MUSSI
It took me many trials to make this recipe! I love biscuits and achieving a flaky, low-carb recipe was not easy—it's all in the proportion of flours to make a biscuit that is as close to the traditional ones as possible. I hope you love them as much as I do! I really wanted to include my berry jam as I see so many people struggling to make a great keto jam and it pairs so well here.
MAKES: 4 large pieces
- 150 g almond flour
- ⅛ cup (14 g) coconut flour
- ⅛ cup (14 g) freshly ground flax seed
- ¼ cup (30 g) arrowroot
- 1 tsp fine sea salt (4 g)
- 2 tsp gluten-free, aluminium-free baking powder (at high altitude, use 1 tsp)
- 1 egg yolk at room temperature
- ½ tsp vanilla paste
- 60 g grass-fed butter such as KerryGold, cut in cubes and very cold
- ⅛ cup + 1 tbsp coconut cream or heavy cream
- 1 tbsp Lakanto Golden Monkfruit Sweetener
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch Lakanto Golden Monkfruit Sweetener
Lakanto Powdered Monkfruit Sweetener to sprinkle on top
Serve with grass fed butter, strawberries, and my keto jam.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a perforated baking tray with a Silpat (this will ensure even baking plus you can then use your perforated baking tray as a cooling rack).
- In a food processor or Thermomix: mix flours, Lakanto Golden Monkfruit Sweetener, salt, baking powder and flax seeds. Mix at medium speed until the flour is combined, approximately 3 seconds. Add cold butter and process at medium speed until the butter is the size of lentils. Butter must be very cold; if needed, put the mixture in the fridge.
- Put the dough in a bowl and add the cream and egg yolk. Gently mix until you create a flaky dough. Don't overwork the dough.
- Roll out the batter with a rolling pin until about 1” thick.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes on a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut the pastry dough with a round cookie cutter or biscuit cutter and place on the prepared baking tray.
- To make the egg wash, mix all ingredients with a whisk until incorporated.
- Brush the pastry dough with egg wash and bake in a preheated oven at 350°F until golden, approximately 17- 20 minutes. The exact baking time will depend on your oven; a convection oven bakes faster and more uniformly than a conventional oven.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Serve with powdered sugar, grass-fed butter, and my berry keto jam.