This article was previously published on November 30, 2017 and updated August 20th, 2019.
Is the flu shot effective?
According to estimates by the Center for Disease Control, the flu shot was about 47-61% effective (in preventing influenza-associated, medically attended, acute respiratory illness) and that number might not improve much this year given the different strains and how often flu viruses mutate. If you want an even greater arsenal against the attack of the flu, you may need to do more. Let’s talk about one of the most important of them all…boosting your vitamin D levels.
Are you at risk for Vitamin D deficiency?
- Dark skin- skin pigment acts as a sunscreen. The more pigment, the longer you need to spend in the sun or supplement with Vitamin D.
- Depression- Vitamin D receptors are found in the parts of the brain that are linked to the development of depression. Low levels increase the likelihood of feeling blue.
- 50 or older- your body is less efficient in producing Vitamin D.
- Overweight or obese- Vitamin D is fat-soluble, so you’ll need more than others.
- Head sweats, achy bone, gut trouble- all evident as Vitamin D is deficient.
- FLU- if you feel the flu coming on… it is likely you are deficient!
The Sunshine Vitamin
- Needed to fight off invading bacteria and viruses
- Found in cells throughout the body
- Fights the flu effectively
- End of winter, people tend to test low on Vitamin D (University of Maine Study) so food & supplements may be required to maintain healthy level
Vitamin D Sources
- Raw Milk
- Beef Liver
- Egg Yolk
Hence, if you are vegan, adding a high-quality Vitamin D supplement is even more imperative to maintain healthy levels of Vitamin D and maintaining a healthy YOU.
Whether you get a flu shot or not, Vitamin D will increase your ability to fight off the flu! Let’s enjoy our holidays, the crisp air, and our families this year by protecting ourselves properly!
Thank you! If you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them!
Mushrooms are a great source of vegan vitamin D,