Sugar-free Spiked Mulled Apple Cider
Spiked Mulled Apple Cider is a fun, spicy cocktail for the holiday season. This sugar-free, keto-friendly mulled cider is full of warm spices: cinnamon sticks, star anise, clove, allspice. Add fresh oranges and a spiced rum to warm you right up! Keep it simmering on the stove all day long to keep your house smelling divine as you sip away the shivers wrapped in your favorite plaid blanket.
- 1 large orange, cut into 1/4” slices
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 4 star anise
- 1 tbsp whole cloves
- 1 tbsp whole allspice
- 1” ginger root, sliced
- 8-10 drops of One on One Flavors Liquid Concentrate in Double Apple
- 8 cups water
- 1/2-3/4 cup Lakanto Simple Syrup, Original or Caramel (sweeten to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups spiced rum (Captain Morgan is a good one)
- To a large 10 qt dutch oven, add water and apple flavoring, orange slices, cinnamon sticks, star anise, whole cloves, whole allspice, and ginger root. (If you have a spice ball, add clove and allspice to that. It’s easier cleanup)
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to simmer for 2-3 hours.
- Add rum to the apple cider mixture and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Remove fruit and spices from the pot.
- Garnish with an apple or orange slice, a cinnamon stick (good for stirring) or an adorable star anise.
Note: This recipe can be made in a Crock-Pot as well. Add all the ingredients (except rum) to the Crock-Pot. Turn Crock-Pot to LOW and cook for 2-3 hours. Add rum and cook an additional 10 minutes. Serve.