What does a good scone look like? The answer probably is a bit different depending on where you live and how you eat.
A traditional (read: British) scone is the centerpiece of most tea times. It's the near equivalent of an American biscuit, but let's be honest... everyone does their biscuits differently and that's okay.
Scones should be more crisp on the outside than a biscuit, but still have a bit of softness inside. Scones are more often glazed with an egg wash rather than your slow-churned butter that adorns the biscuit.
The biggest similarity of a scone and a biscuit is the dough and the treatment of the dough. If you overwork either of these doughs, you'll open the oven door to flat, lifeless things that we used to call hockey pucks. (Hey, every batch can't be a winner—we've all eaten and made bad scones and biscuits before.)
The secret to keto scones?
Well, that's our new-and-improved Pancake & Baking Mix. We use the best low-glycemic flours and fibers, and our monkfruit sweetener to cut the carbs. This mix is great for keto pancakes and waffles, baking keto breads, and all the fun baked goods we crave: scones, donuts, biscuits, dumplings, etc. Get your mitts on a few bags and spend the weekend trying it with some of your classic carb-heavy recipes.
Ingredients for Lemon Blueberry Keto Scones
- 2 cup Lakanto Pancake & Baking Mix
- ¼ cup Lakanto Classic Sweetener
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- ½ cup heavy cream (dairy free milk works too)
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
Ingredients for Sugar-Free Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup Lakanto Powdered Sweetener
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp almond milk (more if you want a thinner glaze)
Simply stir together all the ingredients until smooth. Set to the side while you make your scone dough and bake.
How to Make the Scones
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the Lakanto Pancake & Baking Mix, Lakanto Classic Monkfruit Sweetener, and your lemon zest.
- Stir in the eggs, your chosen extract, and the heavy cream until a soft dough forms. If the dough is dry, try adding more cream, one teaspoon at a time.
- Gently fold in your fresh blueberries to your dough.
- Form dough into an 8-inch circle on your cookie sheet. Cut into 8 wedges, and just slightly separate each wedge.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drizzle with your sugar-free glaze and serve warm.
Nutritional Information for Lemon Blueberry Keto Scones & Sugar-free Lemon Glaze