Celebrate American History this 4th of July and take a bite out of it too! A flavorful vanilla, sugar-free cake that is nice and fluffy and melt-in-your-mouth worthy. This cake is also perfect for Memorial Day, Flag Day, or any time needing some red, white, and blue patriotism. How is it sugar free? Lakanto Monkfruit Baking Sweetener is used inside the cake and Lakanto Powdered Monkfruit Sweetener in the delicious cream cheese frosting!
Want some extra sparkle? If outside, add a sparkler to the cake and light it out of reach of children and flammable substances. We hope you and your loved ones have a safe and happy Independence Day and we want to thank all who have served to keep our flag standing!
Sugar-Free Flag Cake Ingredients
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free flour
- 3/4 cup super fine blanched almond flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 ½ cups Lakanto Baking Sweetener
- 3 eggs plus one egg white (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened plain Greek yogurt
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting & Fresh Fruit Decorations*(Double frosting recipe if using a piping bag)
- 4 oz cream cheese full fat (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch sea salt
- 3 1/2 cups Lakanto Powdered Monkfruit Sweetener
- 2 half-pints fresh blueberries
- 3 half-pints fresh raspberries
How to Make a Sugar-Free Flag Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, place rack in center of oven.
- Grease and flour a 9×13 pan and line with parchment paper.
- Mix flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and set aside.
- Crack 3 eggs plus one white into a bowl, discard extra egg yolk. Set aside.
- Beat butter and Lakanto Baking Sweetener with a mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the room-temperature eggs, and additional egg white one at a time, allowing each egg yolk to blend into the butter mixture before adding the next. Mix in vanilla extract.
- Spoon in the unsweetened Greek yogurt, mixing until just incorporated.
- Add all dry ingredients to bowl, mix until incorporated thoroughly.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan(s).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, or the top springs back when touched lightly. Let cool completely before frosting.
Making the Sugar-Free Cream Cheese Frosting
- Mix cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth.
- Next, add salt and Lakanto Powdered Sweetener one cup at a time until smooth. Beat for about 1 minute until frosting is smooth and fluffy.
How to Decorate and Create the American Flag Cake
- Put about ½ the frosting on the cake. Mark off the area of the stars with a toothpick. (No need to be proportionately accurate; just guesstimate.) Prepare a pastry bag with a tip of choice and fill up to 2/3 with icing.
- Using the pastry bag, pipe two lines of frosting at the bottom of the cake. Make two rows of raspberries on the cake, then add another two lines of frosting.
- Keep repeating: two lines of frosting, two lines of raspberries, two lines of frosting, etc.
- Fill the square in the corner with a nice layer of blueberries.
- For best rise, use the freshest baking powder & flours
- Parchment paper will allow to lift cake out for placing on platter for decorating
- Eggs are easier to separate when cold. Bring to room temperature after separating.
- This frosting contains cream cheese and should be refrigerated if stored overnight.
Nutritional Info per 1 slice
Total Carbs: 15g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Sugar Alcohols: 4
Net Carbs: 11g
Total servings in recipe: 15