People Are Going Crazy Over This Legal Weed
CBD oil (Cannabidiol Oil) comes from a plant in the cannabis family. There is some confusion about what it is and how it affects the human body and some talk that CBD oil may be marijuana’s not-so-dirty sister. Hemp and marijuana plants both come from the cannabis family, but they are not the same. Marijuana and hemp plants differ in the amounts of THC they contain. THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) is a cannabinoid, just like CBD, but THC creates the psychoactive (high) effect. There is little to no THC found in hemp, hence it does not have the psychoactive effect. It appears to be safe but it’s still relatively new and more research needs to be done with a larger and longer human trial. Hemp-derived CBD oil has grown in popularity as a natural remedy for common ailments.
- May Relieve Pain: Records show marijuana being used to treat pain as far back as 2900 B.C. CBD may help chronic pain by reducing inflammation and interacting with neurotransmitters.
- May Treat Epilepsy: Approximately 30% of Americans struggling with epilepsy do not respond to traditional medicine. For them, CBD oil triggers the regions of the brain that trigger convulsions. The properties in CBD may change the functioning of the brain cells by altering how ions flow in and out, calming seizures.
- May Boost Mental Health: Instead of using drugs that cause a host of side effects and potential addictions, many that suffer with depression or anxiety are turning to this natural method of relief. CBD is shown to affect the brain’s serotonin which controls mood. In one study, a group that received CBD had significantly less anxiety, cognitive impairment, and discomfort compared to the compared to the control group.
- May Help Cancer Patients: For those that have gone through chemotherapy, CBD has been shown to reduce vomiting and pain. However, new research is being done to test the effectiveness of CBD is in halting/killing cancer cell growth! One test-tube study found, CBD induced cell death in breast cancer cells! Another study, found that aggressive breast cancer cells were inhibited in mice treated with CBD.
- May Reduce Acne: Perhaps the biggest worry for some teenagers are those pesky, pussy spots that appear on their faces and other body parts. CBD oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce the production of sebum. One study also found that CBD oil prevented overproduction of sebum. Although many factors play a role in acne formation, CBD oil can help with many suffering from acne.
- Other Potential Benefits: In addition to the previously mentioned, CBD oil may help with several other conditions. It may reduce psychotic symptoms and help those with schizophrenia and other mental disorders. Ironically, it is thought to help with drug addictions. With diabetes raising at an alarming rate, it’s exciting that CBD in mice has reduced diabetes by 56% and greatly reduced inflammation!
The future of CBD oil is looking bright! While research is still being done, we can already see that CBD may be an effective, natural way to treat patients. This may give hope to patients that haven’t found success elsewhere.