Leaky Gut Epidemic & 6 Foods that Heal It
Many people don’t think much about their gut, but the small and large intestines are extremely important. The gut is where food nutrients are absorbed and where waste is eliminated. It’s also home to an inner ecosystem of billions upon billions of bacteria, both good (probiotic) and bad (pathogenic).
After lots of research Michael Klaper MD, Amy Myers MD and Dr. Josh Axe have discovered that a lot of people are suffering from what they call “leaky gut syndrome”. This condition has caused a lot of negative health effects in people’s lives. Health condition such as arthritis, hashimoto disease, heightened food allergies, autoimmune disease, and a number of inflammatory health issues.
What is Leaky Gut Syndrome?
Leaky Gut Syndrome is a condition where large openings form in the walls of your intestines allowing big particles of food and other substances to escape that shouldn’t.
The immune system sees the particles that escape as foreign and attacks them which can cause a lot of the negative health effects mentioned above.
What Causes Leaky Gut Syndrome?
Dr. Myers says a leaky gut comes from eating eating too much processed foods, sugar, dairy and gluten.
Myers says that our wheat and dairy are much more processed then it was back in the day. The bread we are eating now is not the same bread we have been eating for ever. Scientist have hybridized wheat over the years, this allow the plants to yield more wheat but the wheat has more gluten in it. The dairy we eat today come from different types of dairy cows, the cows today are given growth hormones and antibiotics. Also with the increase of processed sugar our sugar consumption has gone way up. Too much sugar can cause inflammation.
Is Leaky Gut Syndrome a Permanent Disease?
No it is not, the intestine is constantly renewing itself and growing new intestinal lining just like your skin is constantly growing new skin cells.
With the right amount of foods you can heal and prevent Leaky Gut Syndrome. Listed are 6 Power Foods That Can Heal and Prevent Your Leaky Gut:
- Kefir and Homemade Yogurt – Fermented dairy is one of the most probiotic superfoods in the world today. Drinking kefir or homemade yogurt can be one of the best things you can do to get good healthy probiotics into your gut.
- Fermented Vegetables – Very similar to kefir and homemade yogurt, Sauerkraut and kimchee have very good sources of probiotics in them. They also have a organic acid that helps maintain a healthy PH in your gut.
- Coconut Products – Coconut oil has antimicrobial properties and other important fatty acids that help kill off bad bacteria in the gut and they are very easy to digest.
- Chia Seed is loaded with Omega 3 fats which we know reduces inflammation which is critical when it comes to leaky gut syndrome.
- Sprouted Flax Seeds are loaded with healthy fiber that can help in growing good bacteria in your gut.
- Steamed Vegetables – Broccoli, cauliflower, celery, carrots and squashes are great to do in the crockpot, these vegetables nourish the spleen, and colon.
If the gut is out of balance, everything is affected. And we really do mean EVERYTHING. A healthy gut is the foundation for physical, mental and emotional well-being. So next time you are shopping at your local store look to incorporate some of these power foods into your list and see how they can help you gut improve.